Thursday, November 19, 2009

Huge raven and a tiny brown wren

November 11
Was in bed with Meg, Sarah, and maybe Bev, maybe a few others. Sarah was getting married. We were in the Heatherwood house, different, more airy interior. Upper bedroom had a huge open skylight. I was awake before anyone else, laying in bed looking out the skylight. Dark shadow of a bird flying by. Heard and saw huge raven alight on the edge of the opening. Was about the size of a small spaniel. Just glanced in, scanning, then saw that I was awake. Intense intellegence in his eyes sparked. Fluffed up, started croaking at me. Some sort of exchange between us, he was getting irritated. And louder. I tried to shush him, and he decided he wanted to come in. I did not want to wake the other women. I got out of bed and tried to keep him outside by waving a pillow at the skylight. We eventually woke the other people in the room, and I told them to stay in bed, but while I was distracted, the raven pooped an egg on the ground on Sarah's dress. I was distracted by that, and the raven flew in, then out the bedroom door into the rest of the house. He was followed by a tiny brown wren. I followed them down the stairs, and opened the back door of the house, hoping he would just fly out on his own, then went back upstairs to clean up after them, and help every one get ready for the ceremony. I was able to clean off the splattered egg, not alot had gotten on her dress
We were down in the kitchen, leaning against the breakfast bar and talking. Nathan came in to join us, chatting. He jumped up to sit on the edge of the sink. It was a big farmers sink, so when he jokingly leaned back to slip into the sink, he fit. He kept chatting. His phone rang, and he answered it. The others in the room continued to chat pleasantly. After he hung up his phone, he looked upset and like he was trying not to cry. I went over to talk to him, and he started crying. I held him, taking him out of the sink and on to the floor/into a chair, and could tell he did not want to talk about it. He also thought I wanted him to talk about it, surprised when I just told him to not worry about talking about it. I think I put him into bed, to sleep.
I left him in the room, and realized I did not know if the birds had gotten out of the house yet. I wandered in the back, looking for them. There were alot of people there, all for the wedding. Someone pointed to the front of the house, and I found both of the birds there up by the ceiling near the front door. I opened the door, and the raven flew off gracefully. The little wren fluttered a bit, he had found a nest he liked in some decorations over a doorway. I shooed him, not wanting him to settle in the nest, knowing that he would not survive indoors. I got him out the front door, and turned back to clean the mess he made with his nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment